Question: Strong Body Odor

Peopleinplanes - Wed Oct 14, 2009 1:12 am

Hello, I'm 20 and I've had body odor that was very noticeable since I was 13. I cannot smell the odor, and the odor is apparently there after I take a shower using an anti-bacterial soap. I put deodorant under my arms regularly and have even bought that new "stronger" deodorant that is being marketed. I do sweat around my groin and back often, but I can't smell any smells coming from that area after I've taken a shower (groin area is very sweet smelling after sweating alot). I have noticed that after I do sweat a bit (don't sweat in underarm area very often) that people notice my body odor much easier.

I also have pain in my abdominal region, but my doctor thinks that may be due to depression, since my mum died on my 15th birthday of cancer. This body odor was around before my mum passed, but the abdominal pain wasn't.

I'm 6'5 168lb, I have frequent bowel movements, I exercise 4 times a week, and I'm on lexapro 20mg (I had stomach pain and odor before I was put on lexapro a month ago).

This odor is very noticeable among my friends / classmates and is affecting my life dramatically. If you can give me an idea how I can help this, or direct me to a doctor that specialists in body odor, it would be much appreciated.
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Wed Oct 14, 2009 12:11 pm

User avatar Hello,There are two types of body odor producing conditions.One and the commoner is apocrine bromhidrosis.This begins after puberty.Apocrine glands are situated around the axilla,and the groin.The secretions from these glands when come in contact with skin bacteria produce odor.The less common is eccrine the real sweat gland based and may be a manifestation of disturbance of aminoacids,or foods eaten.Some times a phobia of smell can get reported as true bromhidrosis.In certain people eggs,or fish can produce altered smells.Antibacterial soaps help, like deodorants in many but the value of medications are limited.Shaving the areas like axilla help.Do consult a specialist to explore the possiblity of superficial liposuction to remove the apocrine glands which may be a last option.Best wishes.

|