News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Dermatology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Dermatology Answers List

Forum Name: Dermatology Topics

Question: Armpit skin tag (?) removal gone wrong???

krissy05 - Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:59 pm

Hello there. I recently went to my doctor about a mole that I had on my armpit; it had been there for years but appeared to be changing. I have a history of suspicious moles so asked him to check it out. He told me it wasn't a mole but was a big, brown skin tag and that he could remove it by burning it off (he used the word "evicerate" a lot). I set the appointment to have it done even though I protested that I would rather he cut it out and stitched me up. I lost the argument. He burned it and scraped it with a blade. It was a horrific experience. I went home with a small black burn on my pit and no pain; apparently he was right. However, within a day of the procedure I noticed that the small black mark was becoming larger and getting sore. It has been 8 days and the mark is at least 5 times the size that it was originally and is very tender. It looks as though someone has cut a perfect circle out of my skin and there is something shiny and yellow showing through. I am worried because I'm not sure how this new oriface is going to heal. I have taken pictures of it but, alas, cannot post them here. Why has this happened and is my only option to head back to the doctor to have it "fixed"? Thanks for any insight you can give me!
Kristin
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Fri Oct 16, 2009 10:07 am

User avatar Hello,From your history you seem to have undergone an elctro surgical procedure to remove a skin tag ie achrochordon.These procedures involve production of heat by electrical energy and could either be fulguration,dessication or coagulation.Possibly you underwent an electrosection, to cut rather than destroy the lesion.There is a drawback to this.Sometimes more tissue is destroyed than desired.This lead to a prolonged healing time.Otherwise I do not see any worry,and the post inflamatory pimentation should be gone in a few weeks.Do get reviewed by you dermatologist.Cheers.
 krissy05 - Sun Oct 18, 2009 1:04 am

Thank you very much for your quick response. I have followed up with my doctor and he doesn't seem concerned. There definitely was more tissue destroyed than necessary but it looks as though it is starting to heal now, unfortunately it is going leave a huge scar (I am a keloid former)!! Next time I will know not to opt for this particular treatment! Thanks again!
Krissy05

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here