Question: Small painless body & scalp water-blisters

lesa - Fri Oct 16, 2009 7:22 am

I am a 24-yr old female student, currently living in a hotel room for the past 7 days. I had developed one water-filled painless blister 3-4 days ago a little below my knee, but now I have them all over- mainly the softer parts of the trunk area, ie on the sides of my waist, where my shorts-band meets my waist, below my breasts, my neck, a couple on my face, parts of my upper back, and even my scalp. They are well-spread and 2-3 over a 4-sq inch area. They are mildly reddish, have no pus and itch only suddenly. I am sorry, but I scratched most of them and they have now turned a little more reddish, but still don't pain or anything.

I don't know if its connected, but I also experienced light-headedness and headache with a viral fever like throat-ache - since yesterday. I have also been feeling hot despite it being a little cool. The bed I sleep on has some scratchy wiry things coming out, and there are some bugs I guess.

Other Information:
I have only a single sex partner, and both of us are monogamous. I have a history of fungal vaginal infection and had used Canesten 2 months back. I also get viral throat infection very easily. I have never had chicken pox nor a vaccination against it. I don't drink a lot of water, but visit the loo about 2 times at night daily.
 Debra Van Ness RN - Fri Oct 16, 2009 10:59 am

Please get to a doctor in person. I don't know what it could be and most people may not be able to tell you alot without looking at the blisters. But with the feeling you have fever along with the rest of the symptoms, it could be related and you need to be checked. Or, perhaps something is biting you. You need to try your best to get out of the motel room if they are that unsanitary. If there is something in the mattress, no telling how many "somethings" are in it. Could have caught something from someone else that stayed there before. Almost sounds like a staph type infection. Are the blisters turning to sores?
Please seek attention ASAP.
Best of luck,
Debra Van Ness RN
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Fri Oct 16, 2009 11:04 am

User avatar Hello,The features and the clinical history favour the diagnosis of varicella ie chicken pox.Generally preceded by fever and body pain the patient develops thin walled vesicles which are typically in a cenripetal distribution ie more on the trunk than extremities.These are thin walled and break open easily.There is minimal ltching and there is crust formation.New crops may arise an you can find crusts as well as vesicles.This condition is more severe in adults than children and second attacks are rare.Diagnosis is by clinical and lab investigatons.Tzank test is taking a little of the fluid to demonstrate what are known an giant cells.Do go to your doctor who may treat you with acycovir.
 lesa - Fri Oct 16, 2009 12:21 pm

The blisters are not turning to sores. My family doctor recommended Sodium Fusidate topical ointment and Cefadroxil over the phone till I consult a doctor in person. But the blisters are getting more itchy but they still don't pain. My scalp itches the most. :( My throat still feels sore.

I have developed more blister-rashes on my face and neck, plus two more blisters at the back of my throat. Calamine lotion helped soothe a bit.

Thanks a lot for that quick reply. I will surely get myself examined ASAP. But, do I need to be in isolation for the time-being?
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Sat Oct 17, 2009 9:10 pm

User avatar Hello,It is best to remain in isolation till the scabs fall.You can take antihistamine to control itching.Do not drive after taking an antihistamine,givin you a common precaution.Ok?

|