News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Dermatology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Dermatology Answers List

Forum Name: Dermatology Topics

Question: Crater like abcess?

MelinUtah - Sat Oct 17, 2009 11:09 pm

I have a red angry looking abcessed looking lump or bump on my sternum just below the breast line in midline. It has a crater in the middle filled with a white hard substance. I thought it was an abcess and had my spouse try to evacuate it, but initially it was far too painful to touch. I covered it with some medicated bandages for a couple of days and some ichthammol ointment to try drawing the pus out. That succeeded to some degree, he was able to evacuate a small amount of bloody pus-y fluid, but the white hard center still remains and it hurts as if I've been stabbed every time it is touched. What is this? Any information would be appreciated. I recently had a hernia repair of my umbilicus and this sore showed up about 5 days post-op, but I don't think they are related, as there was a hard white calcified sort of bump in the spot where the red raised bump is now.
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Fri Oct 23, 2009 12:37 pm

User avatar Hi,
Thanks for your post.
The description provided suggests a diagnosis of an infected sebaceous cyst(fairly common in this location).This is a cyst arising from a sebacious gland. Another condition which closely resembles this is called as a 'trichilemmal cyst', arising from a hair sheath.
Another rarer possibility is a pilonidal abscess in this area (rare).
If you still feel a residual lump, it is possible that the cust wall remains - so, may need removal by a surgeon. Good luck!
 MelinUtah - Sat Oct 24, 2009 8:13 am

thank you for the information!! After evacuation and air exposure, it has begun to heal and disappear. I wondered initially after it began to heal about ring worm because of the round shape, but that infection site has gone away. I believe it was a reaction to the adhesive in the bandaids I used.
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Mon Oct 26, 2009 7:14 am

User avatar Hi,
Thank you for sharing your progress with us.I am glad that it has healed!

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here