Question: Retinol overdose

louise nevelson - Sun Oct 25, 2009 9:40 pm

Three nights ago I used a topical Retinol (Skinceuticals Retinol 1.0) and since I had no stinging or reaction, I used it again the following night. Yesterday I woke up with a burning, peeling face that hurts to touch. It is very tight feeling and also has some red blotches. I know this is from using too much of this Retinol and it has the result of a chemical peel. What products can I use to alleviate this pain and help heal my skin? Also, when is it safe for me to go back in the sun? Thank you.
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Sat Oct 31, 2009 12:48 pm

User avatar Hello,Tretinoin is comedolytic and is a vitaminA acid.When used sometimes it leads to opening of the microcomedones and spilling of the toxic material leading to what looks like apparently worsening of the condition.This is the beneficial part but then true irritation occurs if the pecentage used is high for your skin.Best now for you to dicontinue medication and apply soothening agents like lactocalamine which would be prescribed by your doctor.He may ask you to apply sunscreens in the mornings.The possiblity of using lesser concentration after the inflammation settles is a possiblity.Do not use concommitently other antiacne preperations and use mild cleasing soaps.Best to avoid cosmetics or aftershave lotions,cleansers etc now.Withdrawl of medication reverses the adverse effects and may be considered too.Do consult your dermatologist for further instructions.Cheers.

|