Question: Sore, hard lump under skin center of neck

uzuridi - Wed Oct 28, 2009 8:49 pm

I don't know if I should be posting this in dermatology, however I have had a pilondial (sp?) cyst on my tail bone that had to be drained in 2007. Earlier this year the bump/bump/lump I had on the back of my neck was painful! I kept putting warm compresses on it and finally one day it leaked and there was a filmy substance that came from it; also speckled with blood, but not a lot at all. I was prescribed antibiotics and that was it, however it still leaked a little while after but the pain was gone. Now however I have this little somewhat hard mound thats tender to the touch somedays however not as bad as before. I was wondering what it could be. Im nervous because searching I see a lot of links to cancer and my mother had leukemia. My sister said not to worry, but Im nervous. Also, could it be the cyst reforming? Please let me know.
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Sun Nov 01, 2009 12:08 pm

User avatar Hello,Midline swellings on the neck include thyroglossal cysts,branchial cysts which are congenital,sebaceous cyst with keratin,dermoid cysts with embryonic remants.Your history gives the impression of a sebaceous cyst.These are found mostly on the neck,face and trunk.They do not cause pain but when infected cause pain and discharge.Surgical removal would be the best to prevent recurrence.This has nothing to do with malignancy.Do visit you doctor to get reassured.Ok?

|