News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Dermatology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Dermatology Answers List

Forum Name: Dermatology Topics

Question: hand palm sensitive to water

yabrahan - Thu Oct 29, 2009 4:53 am

Whenever my hands come in contact with water for a prolonged period of time (5-10 minutes or more) they start to crack. Its as if they're soaking up all of the water they come in contact with & become rapidly swollen. The lines on my palms are where most of the cracks occur. It becomes very painful to try and close my hands or grab things while they're like this. This is not something i've had my whole life, because when I was younger I had no problems having my hands be in contact with water for long periods of time.

I've thought that it might just be that they are dry, so I try to put lotion for dry skin on my hands as much as I can...but often, lotion has the same effect on my hand as the water does if I put on too much..and I haven't noticed any significant improvement that has come from using lotion.
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Fri Oct 30, 2009 9:41 pm

User avatar Hello,What you describe could be cumulative insult dermatitis.This is more common in women.There is in all of us a covering lipid layer on the skin which protects the skin against injury.Constant washing,cleaning dishes and other home chores remove this layer bit by bit and thus making the skin sensitive.The resultant is that the skin keratin starts craking up.The treatment given here contain glycerin containig cremes and lotions and use of barrier crermes containing zinc oxide.If you had a water induced vascular reaction it would have lead to color changes and pain but the skin will not crack up.True allergy to water like aquagenic pruritus would have caused itching.Do visit you doctor just to be sure.Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here