News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Dermatology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Dermatology Answers List

Forum Name: Dermatology Topics

Question: Itchy Skin With Small, Red Bumps

KelseyGene - Thu Oct 29, 2009 2:07 pm

Last year as winter rolled around I developed itchy skin over my upper thighs and legs. Gradually, I began to notice small, itchy bumps appear on my waistline and inner thighs. After a while the itchiness began to spread over my legs and the same itchy bumps began to develop on the back of my thighs, ankles, toes and eventually they sporadically showed up on my hands and underarms. There were a few of the bumps that grew larger than the others and eventually began bleeding as a result itching while I was asleep. (Which was rare because the constant itch kept me awake often.) I finally went to see a doctor and explained that I had done research and could not match my symptoms to a probable cause. No one else in my household was affected. My doctor diagnosed me with scabies and I immediately began a cream treatment along with the necessary steps to rid my home of the mites. After two more rounds of the same treatment and cleaning, it seemed the symptoms were finally subsiding and were completely gone by May of this year. As it starts to cool off again I’m noticing that the itching in my legs is in the same beginning phases as last year and I am certain my previous diagnosis was incorrect. The itch is also starting to develop on the scarred areas from last year's sores that become scabbed. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Fri Oct 30, 2009 10:02 pm

User avatar Hello,The history and clinical features were indeed like that of scabies.You were treated effectively.But then as I understand your family members were free of scabies.It can happen that they could still carry, and cause a pingpong infection.Best and essential that the entire family is treated when scabies is diagnosed.The present symptoms may just be a dermatitis which would respond to calamine.If you develop the lesions elsewhere and associated with night itchings do consult and get treated and make sure that all contacts are treated to gether.Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here