News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Dermatology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Dermatology Answers List

Forum Name: Dermatology Topics

Question: Change in appearance of wart - sign of skin cancer?

Emily1891 - Sat Oct 31, 2009 10:15 pm

Hello,

First of all I'd like to start by thanking you in advanced for reading and answering my question.

My enquiry is about skin cancer. My mother has had lots of warts all over her body (mainly on the chest and neck) since she was little. However, a few months ago, she noticed a sort of growth on one of her warts. It's like a spot and it's dark brown. It went away after a few weeks, but now it's come back again. My question is: could this spot be a sign of skin cancer? I've always thought you had to check for changes in your moles, but I don't know if the same applies to warts.

If it helps my mother is fair skinned, and has freckles. She was a redhead when she was little but over the years her hair darkened (now it's dark brown). She has brown eyes.
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Thu Nov 12, 2009 10:46 am

User avatar Hello,The warts you mention are probably seborrheic keratosis( SK) and is a common benign skin tumour with little or nil malignant potential.However in some sudden appearance of multiple such warts could be an indicator of internal malignancy.In your mothers case it is likely to be only an infected wart .She has not had a sudden increase in number of warts from your history and so there should be no problem.Do show her to a dermatologist just to make sure.Best wishes.
 Emily1891 - Mon Nov 16, 2009 9:19 pm

Hello! thank you for answering my question. The growth on the wart has now disappeared, the doctor said it was probably an infection or a small blood clot.

However, 3 weeks ago I noticed a small brown spot on my mother's upper lip (On the right). It almost looks like a blackhead but it's on her lip. A few days ago we realized another spot was forming also on her upper lip, but on the opposite side. It's also brown but sometimes looks purple depending on the light. Her lips are also very dry. What could these dark spots be? Thank you again doctor.
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Fri Nov 20, 2009 10:20 am

User avatar Hello,Some times minor trauma to the lips may leave behind a small raised area of browish pigment.It should settle in a few days.Any increase in size should be brought to the doctors notice.Venus lakes are common on the lips too and are benign.The are blue or purple.Ok?

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here