Question: Recurring Pustules On Face (Pics)

Ellis3 - Wed Nov 04, 2009 7:50 pm

Image

I am a 25 year old male. I have never had any acne other than the occasional pimple. Over the past year and a half I have been getting extremely bad breakouts. I will go to sleep clean and wake up with a handful of pustules on my face, some fairly large in size, and as the days go by they multiply. They form fast, sometimes even over the course of an 8hr work shift. They itch as well.

I have cleaned up my diet, as well as tried to narrow it down to a cause with no luck. I am running out of options. I cant even look in a mirror anymore. I go back to school in less than two months, and this is just killing me. I have been to a dermatoligist, whom prescribed tazorac and doxy, and a gen prac that said it may be follectulitis and did another antibiotic.

I am looking for any more opinions. Please,
Thanks for your time
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Mon Nov 09, 2009 12:43 pm

User avatar Hello,Those who are taking long term treatment for acne develop sometimes what is known as a gram negative folliculitis.These do not respond to standard antibiotics used for acne and need to be treated with specific drugs after a culture and sensitivity test.Again this area is common for a parasite called Demodex folliculorum and responds to permethin application.You need to get investigated along these lines and get treated.Best wishes.
 Ellis3 - Tue Nov 10, 2009 12:24 am

Thank you for your reply!

Demodex Folliculorum, from my reading, sounds VERY close to what I have, in fact it may be it!

Reading about it fits perfectly. Everything from the itching, to it being reactive to tea tree oil, as I had just started a tea tree oil maybe a week prior to this massive break out, as well as the frequent pustules in the nose wings I also saw mentioned.

From what I read, this is usually treated with Ivermectin orally?

The reason I ask is, due to financial reasons, if I suggested this to my general practitioner , is there any negative to having it prescribed and NOT having any mites? It looks to be cheaper to just get the prescription than have to pay out of pocket for a derm, and then additional money for the lab test. If the problem goes away, that was the cause, if not I move on to the next possible cause.

|