Question: splotch of red skin on forehead

curious55 - Sat Nov 07, 2009 10:50 am

For several months now I've had an irregular shaped splotch of red skin on the left side of my forehead beginning right below the hairline and going down about an inch or so. It is the color of a mild sunburn. It is not scaley or raised. The skin is slightly hardened and will pick off easily leaving the same red underneath, but soft skin for a short while. It does NOT sting, burn or itch. I wouldn't know it's there but the mirror and the slightly hardened feel to touch. A hairdresser told me it was dandruff, so I tried a dandruff shampoo which did nothing. On an intuition, I bought some miconazole nitrate cream (2%) from the drug store and have applied it morning and evening. This is the second day and it's almost gone. (I don't currently have a vaginal yeast infection, but have had them 2 or 3 times in past years and they itched and burned badly.) My question is: does this mean I have yeast infection on my forehead and should I do anything else about ? Thank you.
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Mon Nov 09, 2009 12:28 pm

User avatar Hello,The quick response to an antifungal creme with the clinical picture of a nonitchy browish coloured patch flush with the skin makes me think of tinea versicolor cause by mallassezia yeasts.Though not common face can get involved and presents with fawn or brown colored patches and repond well to cmiconazole.The differential diagnosis would include seborrheic dermatitis ie a form of dandruff or psoriasis with silvery scales.If there is recurrence any time may need a dermatologic opinion.Best wishes.
 curious55 - Tue Nov 10, 2009 7:59 pm

Thank you Dr. Kamath for your reply. I looked up mallassezia yeasts and saw that it is sometimes associated with Parkinson's Disease which my paternal uncle had. I think I'll stop the creme to see if the splotch comes back. If it does, I'll go to a doctor. Thank you again for your reply.
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Sat Nov 21, 2009 8:49 am

User avatar Hello,You are talking of rare things!T.Versicolor is very common,and do not worry about parkinsons.Ok?

|