News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Dermatology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Dermatology Answers List

Forum Name: Dermatology Topics

Question: Sebaceous Cyst left bald patch

CharlieX - Sun Nov 08, 2009 6:18 pm

Hi, I was recently prescribed a course of penicillen to treat an infected sebaceous cyst. The cyst began to weep a pus-type liquid for a few days and then cleared up altogether. The infection and the cyst itself have now gone but I have a bald patch about 2cm in diameter where the cyst was. The skin is very smooth and I was just wondering will my hair grow back? I've had this about a month now and there is no sign of regrowth and as a 27 yr old female it is quite embarrassing!! I also have 2 more cysts on the other side of my head which were never infected or painful but my GP has referred me to a surgeon to have them removed anyway, do you think this is necessary as I have a fear of needles and knives and would rather avoid getting them removed.

Thank you in advance.

Regards,
CharlieX
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Thu Nov 26, 2009 11:26 am

User avatar Hello,The cyst exerts pressure on the follicles and it is quite possible that there may be a patch of alopecia following surgery.If there is scarring then it would be difficult for the hair to regrow and since your description tells me it is non scarring you could expect hair growth in some time.You can discuss with your surgeon for waiting for some time for removal of the other cysts since it is not a serious condition and is asymptomatic.Best wishes.
 CharlieX - Sun Nov 29, 2009 7:56 pm

Thank you so much for the response. Good news, the hair has started to regrow now, slowly but surely :o) Am meeting with surgeon on Friday so I'll ask him if I can hold off on having the others removed. Once again, thank you for your response.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here