Question: Wart keeps reappearing on my left thumb

vandelay - Tue Nov 10, 2009 12:43 pm

About a year ago I noticed that a small excrescence (a wart) had appeared on the tip of by left thumb. I did not pay much attention to it until, a few months later a second one appeared, on the same thumb, about 1 cm higher than the previous one.

By April 2009, although they didn't hurt, both warts were uncomfortable enough (see picture) to warrant a visit to the dermatologist, who recommended that I surgically remove them. The doctor cauterized both warts, leaving two small scars behind.

Everything was fine for a few months, when the lower one of the two warts reappeared, in the same place. I followed a pharmacist's suggestion and put some tincture of iodine on the wart, every day for a week. However, this didn't seem to help at all, and it kept on growing, currently (see image here) reaching the same size that it had before I'd removed it, although it looks slightly different this time.

What can I do to get rid of this recurring wart, without having to cauterize it again? Or, at least, if this is the only option, what I can I do to stop this wart (and others) from reappearing? I am trying not to touch too many things with my left thumb in the meantime, just to stay on the safe side...

Anticipated thanks for any help.

Catalin
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Thu Dec 17, 2009 11:50 am

User avatar Hello,Viral warts are known to recur despite treatment since the virus is not totally eliminated by treatment either with curettage,cryo or salycilic acid.But then most warts disappear in time once the body starts producing inteferons which boost up the immunity.The best course as of may be to apply salycilic acid paste which is as good as cryo.Keratolytics can not be applied on the face without prescription.You have to be patient and watch them go away.Best wishes.
 vandelay - Sat Dec 19, 2009 3:58 am

Hi, thanks for your reply. Do you think applying salicylic acid would be better than removing the wart by micro-surgery" again?

Also, I applied propolis tincture (which to me is helpful in a wide range of situations) to the wart for about two weeks, and it seemed to be getting a little smaller but I'm not sure it is as strong as chemical medication in removing the wart completely.
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Mon Jan 04, 2010 2:51 am

User avatar Hello,The present literature compares salicilic paste with cryo and surgery and finds it at par.About proplis I have no direct information but there are some references as to it's efficacy in warts being a safe alternative.Best wishes.

|