News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Dermatology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Dermatology Answers List

Forum Name: Dermatology Topics

Question: Red spot on arm

guest2009 - Tue Nov 17, 2009 5:01 pm

I've had a small red spot on my bicep for approx 2+ weeks. It started as a dry red oval spot about 1/3 inch or 8 mm. It wasn't itchy or painful. Two days ago, I cleaned the spot with alcohol and put on some antibacterial cream and covered it with a band aid. The center of the spot has returned to my normal skin color but the circumference has not, leaving a red ring, slightly bumpy. It hasn't grown larger but I'm worried. Should I continue the antibacterial cream? Is it time to see the doc?

I don't know if it is a bug bite/sting since I don't see any bite marks, holes, etc. I don't know if its ringworm since it is now a red ring but I haven't read any instances of the red ring forming as a red spot first.
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Tue Nov 24, 2009 10:42 am

User avatar Hello,Fungal infections typically grow at the periphery with a central clearence thus growing in size.Antibacterial cremes would not help here but antifungal cremes.Of course there are other conditions like a drug rash,which can presnt with a dull red center and a pale periphery known as target lesions.Your history does not support this.Granuloma annulare is one other condition which could present like this.If this persists do get examined.Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here