Question: rash/cysts on toes/foot (very strange)

ToraiSona - Thu Nov 19, 2009 3:28 am

I'm experiencing something on my right food which is close to indescribable. I can't find anything similar to this anywhere and I really can't begin to imagine what it could be. I apologize if the title is not precise, but if I knew what it was I wouldn't be on here. Here is the series of events:

Oct 17th - I am at my wedding, outdoors, and am bit about 3 times on my 2nd toe by fire ants. (I have been previously bitten by fire ants without any ill reaction)

Oct 26th - I notice that the fire ant bites appear to still be there, which is odd because they are usually gone within a week.

about 5-7 days later - what I think might have been fire ant bites are starting to itch, along with the ball of my foot, my heel and the bottom of my big toe.

the next day - no longer itching, is now an achey sort of pain. hurts to walk.

from about this point until present - if I wake up in the middle of the night, the bottom of my foot is extremely painful and swollen-feeling, though not actually swollen.

Nov 12th - I go on a hike, experience -very- uncomfortable pain in my right foot, on the ball of my foot, to the left of the ball on my foot (near my toes) and in my big toe. I decide they're callouses and get a pumice stone, the "ant bites" are still there but don't look quite like ant bites anymore, more like a healing mosquito bite.

the next day - I give myself a salt foot bath and go to work with the pumice stone. I notice a couple of hard spots on the bottom of my foot and on my 4th toe which don't seem to be callouses. The skin on the top of the 2nd and 3rd toe (where the "ant bites" are) is VERY sensitive

yesterday - the "ant bites" are now looking more rash-like, and have turned purple. my 4th toe feels like it has a large bb in it, as does this spot I can't really name well... it's in under the 3rd metatarsal just underneath where the toes become the foot, if that makes sense. Next to the ball of my foot. Most of the bottom and side of my big toe is now numb.

My knee-jerk response is that it's an allergic reaction, but what sort of reaction goes for over a month and gets worse?? I am at home and inside most of the time and do not wear shoes or socks while I am in the house. When I do go out I have brand-new clean socks that I wear with a variety of different shoes, none of which are cramping, new, or painful. The only thing I can even think of that might possibly be related is a trip to Ecuador where I ended up barefoot in knee deep mud trying to get up a mountain, but that was over a year and a half ago.

I am hoping to see a doctor early next week if the condition doesn't change or improve, but I don't have the best health coverage and all I'm really trying to figure out is which doctor to go to?? I am really lost on this so if anyone has ANYTHING that could be helpful I would greatly appreciate it.
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Wed Nov 25, 2009 2:48 am

User avatar Hello,The history is typical of a vasculitis and indeed it seems to have been caused by fireants.Solenopsis geminata,described as the tramp species,carried from south america this the fireant has caused severe vasculitis.Steroids would be the mainstay if the diagnosis is confirmed.My reference comes from indonesia Dr.Michael D.Bangs have reported on a similar but a more severe case.Do consult and get treated at the earliest.Best wishes.

|