News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Dermatology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Dermatology Answers List

Forum Name: Dermatology Topics

Question: Scratching an itch = bruising and blotches

nanner - Tue Dec 01, 2009 6:22 pm

I'm 22 years old and for the past few years if i scratch an itch on my legs arms or breasts a few hours later i see red blotches that almost look like blood under the skin. Just last night i had a warm bath and my right lower calf had an itch so i scratched it for 10 seconds or so and not roughly and i just noticed alotta bruises n red blood looking blotches in the same spot. Is this normal? or should i be more worried? Thank you.
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Fri Dec 11, 2009 3:12 am

User avatar Hello,While it is common to itch and get some redness,but to show up with blotches or bruises need investigations to rule out deficiency conditions,congenital problems,vascular or blood related problems.Congenital conditions like ehlers danlos do have easy fragility(may not be applicable to you)and also some autoimmune problems,liver diseases just for completions sake.While it may be just some easy fragility related to like vitC deficiency you must get CBC of blood just to be sure, with tests for bleeding and clotting time.Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here