Question: Thin callus under toe HURTS or ITCHES when showering

EnglishRider - Wed Dec 02, 2009 3:52 am

I have had this for more than a year.The skin under my toe looks normal but is doesn't feel normal it is thicker and that same spot that itches/hurts is almost like a thin callus and when I take a little too long in the shower it either itches (if I don't take very long) or really hurts(if I take longer in the shower). It doesn't bother me too much when it is dry but it lets me know it is there. I don't think is athlete's foot because I have seen the pictures and it is not red and is not scaly and it hasn't spread much, there is no infection or cracking of the skin. I try not to scratch it. What is this?
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Mon Dec 07, 2009 3:12 am

User avatar Hello,Though the location is unusual the features are common with lichen simplex chronicus a localized area of itching in easily reached sites like the lateral aspect of legs and nape of neck.Also known as neurodermatitis it is said to be stree related.The location ofcouse is more common for fungal infections.Best to get a scraping for fungus and if negative a short course of externally applied steroid creme would help in this condition.As of now you could apply vaseline or teatree oil.Best shown to a dermatologist to identify the cause.Best wishes.

|