News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Dermatology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Dermatology Answers List

Forum Name: Dermatology Topics

Question: Crusty, Flaky Skin on Eyelid???

do3do31994 - Wed Dec 02, 2009 8:00 pm

Hi, I am a 15 year old girl. I have been diagnosed with eczema ever since 2001, I had eczema on both my eyelids, around the outer sides of my nostrils, and on my ear lobes. Ever since 2006, the eczema on my nose and earlobes disappeared, however I still have eczema on my eyelids, mostly on the inner corners, and mostly on my left eyelid. I am afraid that I have been misdiagnosed, and that I do not have eczema. I am positive that the cause for this to happen to my eyelids is not from any type of allergic reaction from makeup, because I do not wear any makeup. To further describe the condition of my eye, it has extremely dry skin that falls off if I itch it, but still persists and eyelids become red and have a burning sensation if itched too much or too harshly. Also, this flakiness is on the inside corner of my left eyelid, however if I do not take care of it, it spreads to the rest of my eyelid, shows up on my right eyelid, and becomes way worse (crustier, flakier, itchier). My dermatologist prescribed Desonide Cream, 0.05% for me which I have been using until I misplaced it. So, now I use a moisturizing cream with vitamins E, A, and D which I got from GNC. When I use this cream or the prescribed cream, the crustiness and flakiness go away for a while, however I really want to know if I have a different type of skin condition than eczema and if there is any other solution to get rid of this problem. I am very afraid that I might have skin cancer.
Thank you so much,
do3do31994
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Sat Dec 05, 2009 10:07 pm

User avatar Hello,First this is nothing to do with cancer.You have
possibly atopic tendency ie an inherited allergy which causes the dry skin and recurrent eczematization.Eye lid contact dermatitis is mostly transferred from the fingers.Eg nail polish,nickel dermatitis from coins etc.Plant pollens could again could cause flare up during seasons.Best to apply vaseline and desonide sparingly only during outbreaks.Your doctor would be able to track this better.You should be fine with minimal treatment.Best wishes.
 do3do31994 - Fri Dec 11, 2009 7:36 pm

Thank you so much for providing me with that information. It really has helped.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here