Question: Round rash on inner elbows-rash on neck and eyelids-rash on

cindereanu - Fri Dec 04, 2009 6:03 pm

About six months ago I got a very itchy and red rash on my neck and eyelids. My neck and eyes became completely inflamed and itched very badly. Anti-itch creams only helped a little. My doctor prescribed Clariten in the morning and Benadryl at night as well as a 5 day regimen of a steroid. The rash cleared up until I was done taking the steroid and then it came right back. But this time I had a quarter size round rash on my left inner elbow. The Clariten and Benadryl only helped a little with the itching but they never made the rash go away. My doctor then prescribed me Pregnasone (excuse my spelling) for five days. Again, the rash went away but as soon as the prescription was gone, it came right back. Now the rash on my neck and eyes was not as bad. They didn't turn red and only itched occasionally. But now the rash on my inner elbow itched very badly and my arms would itch as well causing bumps everywhere. And a small red round rash was forming on my right inner elbow. Then about a month ago I woke up in severe pain. My skin hurt all over. Anything that touched my skin caused me extreme pain. I noticed though that my rash began to go away and the itching stopped .The pain continued for two days. Clothes hurt, towels hurt, the bed sheets hurt. When my dog jumped up on my stomach when I sat on the couch which he normally does, it hurt so bad that I saw stars. It wasn't just the skin that time. I took a couple pain pills and it subsided. Then suddenly it went away as quickly as it came. And the rash came back. Now today, my neck and eyes are peeling (which they did in the past as well) and they itch but are not as red as they first were. I have a large red round rash on my left inner elbow and a medium sized round rash on my right inner elbow. Both of my arms itch very badly as well as the rashes on my inner elbows. I also have a rash in between my breasts that is also extremely itchy and inflamed. They are very dry and peel quite often. I try to keep lotion or vaseline on them but it only helps a little. I would like to know what this is so I can get rid of it and stop my suffering. Thanks.
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Wed Dec 09, 2009 9:52 am

User avatar Hello,You seem to have developed an allergic contact dermatitis ie ACD.Two possiblities.One is allergy to substances like nickel,and the other ABCD ie AirBorneContactDermatitis to pollen.Cement,gardening,chemicals in photography,jewellry,watches all can produce a dermatitis.Cosmetics are also suspects.Patch testing for thes substances may be required to get a firmer diagnosis.Avoidance of the allergen is the only sure way of getting rid of this otherwise chronic problem.Best wishes.

|