News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Dermatology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Dermatology Answers List

Forum Name: Dermatology Topics

Question: Covered in Tiny Blisters

wallbreaker - Sat Dec 05, 2009 7:25 am

I've had this weird body rash with blisters for 11 days now. I've been given the following drugs (in this order) and it doesn't seem to be doing anything. I have seen 3 doctors and they have all readily admitted they don't know what it is. The blister rash covers me from head to the bottom of my feet and even a few inside my mouth (and of course woefully on my face). They are going to recommend me to a dermatologist (when, I don't know) but any clues as to what this might be? I'd be mighty thankful for any ideas. I have attached a link showing a "scan" of my arm (both arms sorry). These will look flat but they are actually raised little blisters...some of course are broken and scabbed slightly. Overall, they are periodically itchy and I feel tired and just not 100%

Drugs given:
Betaderm
Cephalex
Hydroxyzine (still taking)
Prednisone (still taking)

http://img163.imageshack.us/img163/4241/skin2.png
http://img690.imageshack.us/img690/3490/skin1h.png
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Sat Dec 05, 2009 9:31 am

User avatar Hello,Your condition seems more like a viral condition.Hand foot and mouth disease can cause oral blisters as well as feet and hand blisters.In a few body also can show small,thin walled blisters.This is caused by coxsackie virus and resolves in a week or 10 days.Again chickenpox could cause bisters on the body with a few showing scabs.Oral blisters are also known.Dermatitis herpetiformis is an autoimmune blistering disease but I would have expected severe itching.You may need a biopsy if this persists to rule out other dermatologic disease causing blisters like pemphigus.My personal feeling is that it would settle down with a possible diagnosis of a viral condition.Tzank test is examining the blister fluid and may give clues to the diagnosis.Best wishes.
 wallbreaker - Sat Dec 05, 2009 11:56 pm

Thanks for the advice. I'll get the doc to do a skin biopsy or check the fluid as you've stated. Thanks again

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here