Question: irregular red blotches in skin surrounding unknown wound

msnguyen23 - Sat Dec 05, 2009 1:21 pm

I woke up the other night with a painful wound on my leg the other day (about an inch wide), and I have no idea where it came from. The edges of the wound are uneven and it appears as if skin had been scrapped off. Surrounding the wound are small, uneven blotches of red, that do not bleed to the touch. It's been about 2 days now and the skin inside the wound is still raw and painful to touch, and the skin surrounding the wound is still blotchy with red patches, which may be spreading (I'll have to continue monitoring). I honestly have no idea what this is, where it came from, and what to do about it, except clean the wound with alcohol and hope it gets better with them.

Should I be concerned about infection? Is it strange that this kind of wound can appear without me knowing how I got it? At what point, should I seek a professional opinion in person? Thanks for any help I could get!
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Sun Dec 20, 2009 9:40 am

User avatar Hello,A bite is always to be thought of on exposed parts and especially associated with red blotches I would like you to rule out a leech bite if you had done swimming or was exposed to terrestrial leeches.Do consult your doctor.Per se leech bite is not serious because it does not carry infection causing bacteria.Of couse even ordinary ulcers caused by deep scratching can look blotchy.Other conditions relating to bleeding and clotting disorders,vasculitis also could present with such lesions.Do get examined to rule out these rare causes too.Best wishes.

|