Question: button on my back with white tissue (like hair) coming out

lizzzard - Sun Dec 06, 2009 11:31 pm

I have on my back a button which is about the size of an eraser on a pencil.
It wont go away , I've had it for a few months now. I can't pop it and there is a weird sort of tissue coming out of it, almost like a fabric such as cotton. And has a weird smell. It looks like a white hair growing but if I pull on it it kind of comes out in small lenghts.
It's not painfull or anything. But I would like to get rid of it.
What is it ? And how can I treat it ?
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Sun Dec 13, 2009 2:56 am

User avatar Hello,There are two diagnosis.One is a sebaceous cyst.Location is common and a cheesy smelly material would come out on pressure.These can be removed surgically.It is not serious.The other is a dermoid cyst carrying embryonic remnanats like hair,connective tissue etc.This also is amenable to surgical removal.Do consult a surgeon for options.Best wishes.

|