News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Dermatology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Dermatology Answers List

Forum Name: Dermatology Topics

Question: Skin regeneration and wrinkles after quitting smoking

meowme_ow - Sat Dec 12, 2009 10:39 pm

I am 24 and have smoked for 5 years. I am beginning to notice some fine lines on my face, which I am not sure if they are due to smoking, or just normal 24 yr. old lines. I would like to know if they will disappear now that I am quit. I have asked this question before, but it always seems to lead to a second and third opinion, because the variation in responses. I understand that someone older than I, who has smoked for a longer time will not be able to reverse their wrinkles. But what about skin that is young and can still regenerate well? How long does the skin take to fully regenerate? When it does, will my wrinkles be gone? If not, why? Why don;t wrinkles disappear after new skin grows? Do wrinkles=scars? What are the first signs of smokers lines? I have noticed fine crows feet, lines between my eye and the bridge of my nose, and also small, almost unoticeable lines that run from pore to pore along my forehead and cheeks. I can't tell the difference between normal lines and smokers lines. Will these go away if I wait long enough? Or are they just normal lines of the face? Please explain to my fully, I am smart, I will understand an educated response.
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:33 am

User avatar Hello,Our face contains a nicely interwoven elastic mesh which orchestrates with the muscles and gives us the expressions.This unique structure can be damaged and expresses as wrinkles.The most important factor other than a familial tendency and congenital disorders is UVRays.Prolonged sun exposure or sensitivity to sun damages this elastic tissue.This would manifest more on the face due to maximum sun exposure.Solar elastosis is the resultant after years of uv exposure.Fair skinned people are most affected.
Physical protection against sunrays,Sunscreens are the mainstay of treatment.Plenty of fluids,BCarotene containing fruits would go a long way.To stop smoking would be commendable and worthy for the cause.Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here