News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Dermatology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Dermatology Answers List

Forum Name: Dermatology Topics

Question: Cyst or ?? on ear cartilage

kidder - Sun Dec 13, 2009 12:38 pm

For about 6 months now, I've had a bump in my ear cartilage. The best way I know to explain its location is the front helix area above the rook. It started out small, and its appearance closely resembled a pimple. I tried "popping" it, but there was no fluids in it, and it just scabbed over and later returned. An initial visit with the dermatologist resulted in a diagnosis of acne and I was told to leave it alone.

3 months later, it had grown slightly and was not going away, so I returned to the dermatologist. They ordered a biopsy to rule out basal cell carcinoma. When they called with the results, they simply told me that it was not basal cell carcinoma and was nothing to be concerned about, but they couldn't tell me what it was. In the meantime, despite it being cut off for the biopsy, it returned fully within 3 weeks.

Its appearance closely resembles a pimple or a blister, however it is rock hard and does not move under the skin. It typically does not have any pain associated with it, unless I press on it or sleep on it, in which case the pain feels more like pressure under the skin.

I have never had any piercings so I know that is not the cause. I have not had any injury to that area as far as I know.

Is this something I should just get used to having? Also, since the dermatologist has ruled out any form of cancerous cells, would it be ok for me to use something like Compound W to attempt to freeze this off? So far, it has ben removed 3 times, twice by me "picking" at it, and once by the dermatologist for the biopsy, and it always returns within 3 weeks or so. For reference, its current size is slightly smaller than an M&M.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Fri Jan 15, 2010 6:48 am

User avatar Hello,It is quite possible that you have a keloidal formation after minor trauma.A hard nodule on the helix you have to rule out gouty tophi due to excess uric acid.In your case it is unlikely due to your age and no other symptoms.A serum uric acid estimation would rule this out.Also the biopsy would have revealed this condition.Cryotherapy may be most useful in your case.Do consult your doctor.Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here