Question: Year-Long Upper Lip Bumps

nibsneedshelp - Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:21 pm

So this started about a year ago. I worked in an office where at least 3 women had cold sores within weeks of each other, and then I got this bump on my lip. I assumed it was the same thing, but it didn't look the same as the others. It grew over a couple of days (it looked gross at it's peak), I popped it (liquid puss) and it healed up in about 2 or 3 days. It left a tiny almost un-noticeable red bump, with a tinier white dot on it. It stayed like this for weeks, until it eventually swelled, just a little bit. I went to a walk in clinic where I was told since it doesn't irritate (no itchiness or burning) that it will go away on it's own, and that it is nothing. That was about 8 months ago. After that it spread, and a similar red bump, without the white head, started to swell, ever slightly. Eventually, the entire left side of my upper lip started to swell just a little bit, and it was very sporadic, and some of it is red while some is just swollen with little discoloration. Now about a year later, my entire upper lip is slightly swollen, still barely noticeable except to those close to me, and I have these 3 sorta un-noticeable red spots along the left side of my upper lip. Sometimes I can feel it, like it's swelling. Sometimes I swear I can feel it all the way up the left side of my face to my eyesocket. It also looks like I lost a couple moustache hairs around the original red-ness. I've decided I need to find out what's goin on because yesterday, it appeared as though it was beginning to form a large round bump in a new spot, just to the right of the original red-ness, and it was pretty visible. For the last 24 hours it seems to want to threaten to grow. It feels like I must be doing something to aggrivate it. I've tried switching pretty much all the foods around in my diet over the last few months, at least for a few days to see if I would even notice a difference. I even stopped smoking cigarettes for 2 days, to no avail. I have thought it could be smoking marijuana, but I have been smoking heavily for 10 years now. Help! If you need pictures let me know I'll see if I can find a good camera.
 nibsneedshelp - Sat Jan 02, 2010 10:24 am

So since I originally made this post, I have gone to a walk-in medical clinic to see a doctor, where the doctor seemed fairly certain it was a cold sore. He prescribed me a day's worth of valtrex which I took about a week ago, to absolutely no change. The valtrex did nothing for me, so I'm hoping this means it is not herpes or a cold sore.
I hope someone has an idea what's going on.
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Fri Jan 22, 2010 3:37 am

User avatar Hello,Though uncommon on the upper lip, a mucocele of minor salivary glands can present like this.Also known as mucus retention phenomenon it may be related to lip biting and minor trauma.If persists,a biopsy could be helpful.This is not a serious condition and should resolve.Best wishes.

|