Question: How contagious can be recurring fungal infection ?

skinhealth77 - Thu Dec 17, 2009 8:30 pm

Suffering from recurrent jock itch or intertrigo infection. Have risk factors like loose scrotal skin (which produces heat anyhow) and too much stress. so can't totally stop it. In that case how contagious it can be at home or workplace by carpets, seats etc (provided you take preventive measures, but still it occurs sometimes).
a) Have tried powder and oral drugs but high stress triggers it.
b) What can be done for permanent cure if I have ongoing stress ?
c) What is the best combination of probiotics or any other supplements that I can take to cure it
d) Antifungal powder also feels strong on skin now. Is it not advisable to use it long term
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Fri Jan 01, 2010 10:03 pm

User avatar Hello,The fungus that is causing tinea cruris ie jock itch arefound on clothing,fomites like toilet seats,towels etc in epidemic like situations.A warm and humid atmosphere is condusive for spread.Wearing tight fitting dresses seems to be a common cause.Recurrences are common despite therapy.Antifungal cremes,powders do help a lot so does internal antifungal antibiotics but yet recurrences do happen especially in diabetes.Best wishes
 skinhealth77 - Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:49 pm

Hello Doctor

Thanks a lot for your response. Please correct me if I am wrong. So the fungus is present everywhere so a person actually having nail or jock itch infection can't spread it to others though he or she is touching same objects etc ?. Like I have somebody in office who has nail fungal infection. Are there good chances that it can spread to me or again my recurrent infection can resurface as I have low immunity. Is it immunity basically what decides whether a person will get it or not ?. So is it possible that other colleagues might not get it and I will, though we all work with that person.

Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Sat May 08, 2010 9:53 am

User avatar Hello,While different fungi belonging to different species behave differently,a classic example is of human to human transmission of fungus of scalp which is endemic in schools,and hostels.They can be virulent on their own but their precise requirements or method of spread remains speculative.While it spreads easily, try to transmit it it will only affect certain people!Not all would aquire the same.It can remain silent in some and that person would become a carrier.Affected hair can harbour infection even after 1 year from the shedding from the host.

|