News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Dermatology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Dermatology Answers List

Forum Name: Dermatology Topics

Question: How contagious can be recurring fungal infection ?

skinhealth77 - Thu Dec 17, 2009 8:30 pm

Suffering from recurrent jock itch or intertrigo infection. Have risk factors like loose scrotal skin (which produces heat anyhow) and too much stress. so can't totally stop it. In that case how contagious it can be at home or workplace by carpets, seats etc (provided you take preventive measures, but still it occurs sometimes).
a) Have tried powder and oral drugs but high stress triggers it.
b) What can be done for permanent cure if I have ongoing stress ?
c) What is the best combination of probiotics or any other supplements that I can take to cure it
d) Antifungal powder also feels strong on skin now. Is it not advisable to use it long term
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Fri Jan 01, 2010 10:03 pm

User avatar Hello,The fungus that is causing tinea cruris ie jock itch arefound on clothing,fomites like toilet seats,towels etc in epidemic like situations.A warm and humid atmosphere is condusive for spread.Wearing tight fitting dresses seems to be a common cause.Recurrences are common despite therapy.Antifungal cremes,powders do help a lot so does internal antifungal antibiotics but yet recurrences do happen especially in diabetes.Best wishes
 skinhealth77 - Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:49 pm

Hello Doctor

Thanks a lot for your response. Please correct me if I am wrong. So the fungus is present everywhere so a person actually having nail or jock itch infection can't spread it to others though he or she is touching same objects etc ?. Like I have somebody in office who has nail fungal infection. Are there good chances that it can spread to me or again my recurrent infection can resurface as I have low immunity. Is it immunity basically what decides whether a person will get it or not ?. So is it possible that other colleagues might not get it and I will, though we all work with that person.

Thanks
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Sat May 08, 2010 9:53 am

User avatar Hello,While different fungi belonging to different species behave differently,a classic example is of human to human transmission of fungus of scalp which is endemic in schools,and hostels.They can be virulent on their own but their precise requirements or method of spread remains speculative.While it spreads easily, try to transmit it it will only affect certain people!Not all would aquire the same.It can remain silent in some and that person would become a carrier.Affected hair can harbour infection even after 1 year from the shedding from the host.
Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here