News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Dermatology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Dermatology Answers List

Forum Name: Dermatology Topics

Question: First Wrinkle At Age 12

despez - Sun Dec 20, 2009 2:30 pm

I am a 27 year old female. I got my first wrinkle on my forehead at only 12 years old. I have fair colored skin with blond hair and blue eyes. I now have many forehead wrinkles and I am starting to get wrinkles on the corners of my eyes. I use a SPF 15 lotion everyday on my face. I was wondering why I ended up with wrinkles at such an early age, and what I can do to prevent more. I have friends that still have no wrinkles on their face to speak of, and it feels very unfair. I would also like to know what daily skin care routines I should be following. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sun Jan 03, 2010 9:22 pm

User avatar Hello,
There is a genetic component to skin wrinkling so some people get more than others, but wrinkles around the eyes are caused by dry skin and creases that form with smiling and squinting. Premature wrinkles are most common in people with dry skin. Some of your friends may have oilier skin than yours. While that can be a curse in itself, the natural skin oils do protect from wrinkles. People with fair skin are also more prone to wrinkles - thus, the genetic factors. Using a moisturizing cream containing SPF is good, and adding sunglasses can help prevent wrinkles.

Anti-wrinkle creams (including vitamin a, retin-A, alpha-hydroxyl acids, antioxidants and moisturizers) can help to reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles. If you have more time and money, chemical peels, dermabrasion and laser resurfacing can help reduce wrinkles. On the high end are botox injections and cosmetic surgery.

Continuing to use an eye moisturizer (not the regular facial creams) can help slow the process since it can replace lost skin moisture and reduce dryness.

Fairness really has nothing to do with anything in the random genetic pool.

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here