Question: Light tan flaky blotches around underarms and on stomach

liked00dness - Mon Dec 21, 2009 1:52 pm

I’m a Caucasian woman in my early 20s who has had this for 5 years. It started in high school with small light tan blotches on the inside of my upper arm that itched when I sweat. I have dealt with excessive sweating and when it spread to my stomach, I had been biking that summer daily. I have a little excess fat on my stomach and it started in the skin folds, but now it is all over my stomach and under my breasts, and around, but not in, my armpits. When left dry, they are white and flake. When wet, they are slightly darker than my skin color. I do deal with excessive sweating and it’s all around my armpit, but not in it.

My sister said she had the same thing and told me it was tinea versicolor, however remedies for that condition only made it worse. My dermatologist thought I had ichthyosis, but her prescription for salicylic acid has had no effect 2 months later.

I can’t afford to go back at this point and I am at my wit’s end trying to control this. It is not creeping up my chest and I don't know what to do. I’ve tried keeping it dry, keeping it moisturized, anti fungal creams, Nizoral, tea tree oil, even anti-dandruff shampoos. Any help would be much appreciated!!!!
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Fri Jan 15, 2010 6:17 am

User avatar Hello,Tinea versicolor responds to antifungals and selenium sulphide.The later could sometimes cause irritation and worsen the condition temporarily due to irritation.Since your sister has also got this it could well be ichthyosis.Hydrating the skin with vaseline and vitA help here.Pregnancy would be a contra indication to high dose VitA,and also hypervitaminosis should be borne in mind while taking this vitamin.Do consult your doctor and do take fruits rich in BCarotene to get significant improvement.Best wishes.

|