Question: Does an itchy & hurting mole on my back mean I have cancer?

NS57 - Tue Dec 22, 2009 2:56 am

Hello Doctor,
I have, recently, found some sort of a mole on my upper back that's been hurting and itching me. It is round shaped and has a black dot right in the middle. Now, I am terribly afraid of seeing a doctor in case of bad news so I would like to get an answer through you first. I am only 18 years old, I never had any health issues. Although I have a lot of moles this is the first time that it hurts or even is itchy.
My question is pretty basic: Is this something that needs to get checked out or is it normal? Do you have any theory on what this could be?
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:33 am

User avatar Hello,Sure you must see a doctor when a mole starts getting bigger,bleeds,or changes color and shape,or itches but then many a times normal moles do get infected.Also benign skin conditions like seborrheic keratosis can become itchy and get infected.For all that you know it is just what it is but then you must get examined.With a dermoscope the dermatologist can examine you non invasively.So do not worry but do visit your doctor just to make sure.Best wishes.

|