Question: A ring like boil on my neck

lucipher - Tue Dec 22, 2009 3:51 pm

Just over a month ago I had what i thought was a small pimple on the left side of my neck. I tried to squeeze it 4 times over a 3 day period. And then it started to swell up like a boil with no head showing. I used hot compresses for a week and then the outer skin rubbed off. It scabbed over and after approximately 1 week the scab came off now I have Just over 1 inch diameter ring like boil . The center is sunken like a crater and all scabby and whitish in color. I have been cleaning the center wound for almost 2 weeks with peroxide then polysporin. It does not appear to be going down. I just started my second batch of antibiodics yesterday. I keep a large bandaid on it that allows air to get to it on 2 sides. The wound seaps a little blood and clear fluid daily requiring 2 bandaids a day. Any ideas what this is and how long to go away? Do you want a picture?
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Sun Jan 03, 2010 11:47 am

User avatar Hello,You seem to have developed a sebeceous cyst which has got infected.Sebaceous cysts can appear in any part of the skin and contain cheesy sebaceous material which may not open up easily.Meddling with it can lead to infection and can lead to pain and further enlargement.Surgical removal may be required if antibiotic therapy fails.Do consult a surgeon if it fails to respond to medical treatment.Best wishes.

|