Question: Strange Lumps, filled with pus, then ingrown hairs, in ovals

andrea666 - Tue Dec 29, 2009 6:23 am

I went to a doctor (saw a NP instead) when I got it on my face at first. It started as a small clear-fluid bump over my limp, so I used a rolling astringent teatree oil to try to treat it, but rather than help, it spread over my face, from cheek to cheek, and from the corners of my mouth and a spot above my lip. UGLY!

First diagnosed as impetigo. I started taking Vyvanse a few months ago, but when my dr upped the dose to 140mg/day, I began to do some OCD stuff, like pick. I had some raised lumps that I thought were filled with pus, as if I ran my finger nail down the sides of them, pus would come out. Yellow at first. I began trying to pick or push out all the infection. I was given Minocyclin at first and an ointment. It began to spread to my arm and then my legs, where i have had past MRSA infections.

Later I discovered that there were very strong hard "string-like" circles around the infected raised areas. When using bandages, the skin became soft and melted off, revealing a ring of infected nodules. Around the edges was a hard hair-like ring. I continue to try to tweeze. I went to an ER and they said it wasn't impetigo. They wanted me to go to a dermatologist.

I went to my PCP for a referral, and showed the MD some of the infections. He prescribe Hibi-Cleanse, which is OTC anyway, and more ointment, but I'd already had 2 rounds of Minocyclin. the worst was by my mouth, on the left side, because it feels like there are hard wires or something under the skin, and pus comes out and I can pull out long strands of pus with tweezers I try to keep sterilized.

I then noticed after the lumps lowered and the pus was all out, and the skin soft from being covered by bandages, there were ingrown hairs. They were all swirling around the outside. They itch really badly, like something wants to get out of my skin. I use an antiseptic spray with lidocaine to help with the pain and itching. But these began to spread over many areas of my legs and arms and face. I have 6-7 on just my upper left thigh, 2 on my right thigh, and one on my left arm, and 5 on my face.

The face doesn't appear to be ingrown hairs, however, and I use Triderma lotion to help speed up healing, and I've tried creams for psoriasis and redness/flaking. my left cheek appears better, but left a large red mark, not exactly a scar, and the one by my right mouth corner appears the same way, but the one on my left corner still feels like there is something hard inside, and it was swollen really badly at one point, and it is red and inflamed.

the ones on my arm and legs are ingrown hairs in swirls now, shaping into ovals. They look like sores. I treat them with Hibi-Cleanse antibiotic wash daily, and also the TriDerma healing cream. I also use a dr prescribed ointment on them and cover them with pads or bandages.

I have tweezed out a lot of ingrown hairs, but there is a ring around them that is hard and I cannot tweeze out. I feel there are many infected folicles at this point, and ingrown hairs that have callouses grow over them, or they are open like sores, depending on which one.

Pus still comes out of them, usually yellow, either as a fluid or as pus, and sometimes I find the top pore of the ring to be the one with the ingrown hair that wraps around, and if I can find it, and pull it out, the raised ring around the lesion can go away in strands of white pus, some around a hair, others just hardened skin or something I can't tell.

What is this? It has been 2 months and I have stopped tweezing and picking, but they sure itch. Some appear to get better, but then relapse. Is this fungal? Ringworm? Or just ingrown hairs that can be contagious and I am spreading them by trying to push hairs and pus out if I can to stop the itching.

I should mention that some pores linked to the ring are outside of the ring. I bathe every other day and exfolliate with a sponge or bath scrubber. I try to use antibacterial spray with lidocaine to stop the pain and itching, but it is quite a daily ritual to change the bandages and clean them every day... it takes hours and lots of bandages.

Should I mention I wear false nails that I use nail glue to keep on my nails? I have heard fungal infections can occur from them, but I have no signs on my fingers or in the nail-bed, but I don't know if perhaps something was pushed into the skin.

I believe it is staph, probably MRSA, but the ingrown swirls of hair and then the nodules exposed with no skin covering them like sores makes it confusing. the hardness of the hairs that i extract is stronger than my normal, fine, soft, thin hair. I am white, 31 y/o, vegetarian, eat organic, and lots of probiotics. But so far no one has diagnosed this.... I am on holiday with my family so I couldn't use my referral before the trip to get a real dermatologist to check them out. But they are very gross and my face is hideous. I am trying to use witch hazel as an astringent to clean my face, and then the TriDerma cream, and the antibiotic cream, and then skin-lightening cream to get rid of the huge red mark left on my left cheek from that infection, which now peels a lot, but doesn't appear infected anymore.

What can I do to cure this? I am allergic to Penicillin and Sulfa medications, so my dr couldn't give me his first 2 choices of what he thought would kill the infection. But it doesn't explain the rings of hairs, the huge open sores that get nodules and pus still. I use sterile pads over them with the ointment or medicated Band-Aids, but the ointment makes the band-aids slip off easily.

Any ideas? Please help. I am so ugly and getting scars and marks that will be permanaent, and it seems to have started with a small clear-fluid bump on my upper lip, which I can get if really stressed out. But I never had it spread like this all over my body. I also have some ingrown public hairs near where the leg meets.

Also, I do not shave my hair. I am from California, try to eat organic and am a vegetarian, so i usually am in good health. I am just afraid I turned it into a staph infection by touching or squeezing, perhaps pushing staph under my skin. But that doesn't explain why they are all very similar, starting as a small nodule filled with pus and an ingrown hair, that then grows into a larger ring with a very hard outline. I don't know if that is hair or not, because I cannot break it with tweezers. I have stropped picking and tweezing altogether this last week and just stick to cleaning daily with Hibi-Cleanse(and Witch Hazel on my face) and covering them with bandages or sterile wound pads.

I cannot figure this out and so far none of the doctors who checked it have any ideas, other than the impetigo, which it appears not to be after all.

Thanks for any feedback or help. I feel so ugly and infected!
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:03 am

User avatar Hello,When an impetigo goes deeper and causes a deeper ulcer with an outer crust it is known as ecthyma.The adherent crust when removed would leave behind an ulcer.The cause could be staphylococci and you would need a culture and sensitivity test to identify the pathogen.Fungi do not cause such florid symptoms except zoophilic fungi.If you have pets it could be a tinea infection from it and should be ruled out.A woods lamp examination would rule out fungi.Do consult a dermatologist and get investigated.Best wishes.

|