News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Dermatology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Dermatology Answers List

Forum Name: Dermatology Topics

Question: Recurring splinter hemorrhages

loueville - Tue Dec 29, 2009 1:05 pm

Hello. For the past few months, I have observed what I believe to be splinter hemorrhages under multiple fingernails on both hands. They are generally short and thin, and they alway occur on the distal portion of the nail. I have a hard time believing they are caused by trauma since they are recurring and on multiple fingers, but I also don't have symptoms of endocarditis or anything of that nature. Should I be concerned about these or just wait it out and see what happens? Thanks in advance for your help.
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:02 am

User avatar Hello,The commonest cause for splinter haemorrhages are trauma which could be minor ones which you may not remember.SABE is a serious condition which may not apply in your case since you do not seem to have any heart related problem, but some times connective tissue disorders need to be ruled out.Since you do not have any symptoms otherwise trauma is the likely cause.In any case do consult your doctor and make sure it is it is nothing more.Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here