News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Dermatology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Dermatology Answers List

Forum Name: Dermatology Topics

Question: How can I prevent my "heat rash" from constantly returning?

kennymo830 - Tue Dec 29, 2009 4:14 pm

Since this summer, many times when I get sun exposure, I get this strange rash that looks like either a heat rash or a very blotchy sun burn. I figured it was heat rash, but I get it when I am not hot or sweating. I have been doing light tanning in preparation for a vacation in Mexico and it has come back. I get it mostly on my chest and a little on my back. It itches very badly and I don't know what to do to prevent it. Today I put on SPF 30 sunscreen and it still came. What is this rash if not heat rash and what can I do to prevent and treat it?
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:13 am

User avatar Hello,Miliaria rubra is a condition of the sweat gland obstruction leading to rashes and itching especially of the trunk.Sweat retention is the cause and found in humid conditions or due to tight dressing.If this is very superficial it is known as miliaria crystallina and deeper ones miliaria profunda.Cool environment,loose dresses and avoiding excess heat are the ways of prevention.Sunscreens may not be of much value here.Talc,Calamine applied externally are useful.Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here