Question: Tattoo removal same as sunburn?

elec99 - Wed Dec 30, 2009 2:10 pm

If you are familiar with how laser tattoo removal works, can the same be achieved by sunburning the same area of the skin? If the same process is taking place, the killing of top layer skin to promote the newer skin underneath, would this work?

If I am correct, a sunburn may peel the top layer(s) of skin, hence the lower layers are promoted, moving the tattoo closer to the top.

I'm looking for a less pain alternative to the laser treatment.

Thank you.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Fri Jan 01, 2010 9:44 pm

It is possible that repeated burning could affect the tattoo but this is not necessarily a less painful alternative. It is definitely not as effective and it comes with risks of increased skin cancer. I would not recommend this technique, but normal suntanning can reduce the brightness of the tattoo.

|