Question: My Skin bubbles on the palm of my hands after using water fo

anonymousmoose - Thu Dec 31, 2009 10:03 am

Hi all, I got a quick question. What is causing my skin to slightly peel and 'bubble'.

This started happening about a week or so ago. When I use water for a while the palms of my hands develop a bubbling sensation and peel a little. Similar to when you take a long long bath. This goes away after about and hour or so. After about 15 minutes you can already see it getting better.

Now the only changes to my lifestyle have been that I am washing my hands with Dettol a lot more often because of my wife's pet rabbit. It needs a bit of care and each time I pick it up/feed it etc, I wash my hands with Dettol handwash. This may happen between 5-10 times an evening.

I know its no allergy toward the rabbit because we have had the rabbit for over a year. The only change is that I am washing my hands more and more.
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Fri Jan 01, 2010 9:28 pm

User avatar Hello,Two kinds of reactions can occur in this setting.One is allergic and the other irritant contact.Your reaction is of the second type and it is possibly to frequent washing.There is a lipid layer on the skin which gets worn off and makes the skin sensitive to substances you are not allergic to.If this becomes chronic it is known as cumulative insult dermatitis.Best to use mild soap only for wasing and use of barrier cremes.Vaseline should be quite fine.
 anonymousmoose - Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:21 pm

I just wanted to say my hands are all better now. Two days ago when my hands were wet after washing, the top layer skin was kind of loose. So I rubbed it and a lot of it came off. No pain, no discomfort no blood or anything like that. Since then, the problem has not come back. Maybe I was shedding some dead skin that was more noticeable when wet (until it dried). I was also using the cream my GP suggested. Had showers today and yesterday and no more skin problem. Hands look normal.

|