Question: Unidentified Skin Rash? Similar to Ringworm

Mom1234 - Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:17 am

I have a skin rash that started as a small pinkish flaky oval patch very slightly elevated below my eyebrow. It then spread above the eyebrow and a few spots showed up on my armpits. It is very similar to ringworm but is uniformly light pink with no hair loss and it is slightly itchy. It hasn't responded to a one month treatment of Lotrimin followed by a couple weeks of Lamisil 2x/daily. I got this from my husband who had the same type of spots just weeks earlier and recovered after a few weeks with no medication and my daughter had one small spot on her stomach that went away in 2 weeks. I did use Lotrimin on her spot. The rash is not getting any better on me after 6 weeks of treatments. My PCP said it could be ringworm and to try Lamisil 2x/daily for 28 days, but it doesn't seem to be improving. What could this be and what can I do to help it heal?
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:46 am

User avatar Hello,Many a times seborrheic dermatitis which involves sebum containing areas including the eyebrows,face,chest,axilla,and groin are mistaken for fungus infection.This condition is more related to dandruff.A variant called petaloid type may be coin shaped.This condition responds to ketoconazole cremes and application of low potency steroid cremes, for a short time.
You should get a dermatologist to look in to,for the diagnosis is more visual and you can rule out fungus by a skin scraping.Best wishes.
 Mom1234 - Fri Feb 05, 2010 6:54 am

Thank you very much for your response Dr. Kamath. I looked up some pictures of seborrheic dermatitis and it looks very much like my rash. I appreciate your help. I have been under a lot of stress and our house is very dry, so it sounds very likely. I'm going to try some natural remedies and will take your advice and see a dermatologist in a week if it doesn't start clearing up.
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Sun Feb 07, 2010 2:42 am

User avatar Hello,It does help to reduce stress and life style management.Hoping you would be fine soon.
 Mom1234 - Tue Feb 09, 2010 5:36 pm

Thank you! I usually have very little stress in my life, but my Dad was diagnosed with lung cancer a couple of months ago, so I guess I have unavoidable stress at the moment. The rash does seem to be improving. Thanks again for your help.

|