News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Dermatology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Dermatology Answers List

Forum Name: Dermatology Topics

Question: Lump growing on top of head.

Drep - Thu Feb 04, 2010 2:29 pm

Hello,

I have a lump growing on top of my head and was not sure what type of doctor I need to schedule an appointment with. At first I thought maybe I had a small pimple growing on my head. After about a month, it has continued to grow. Of course I can not see it but my wife says it's very noticeable, mildly squishy feeling to the touch and doesn't look like any zit she has ever seen. I am also bald so I would not think it's an ingrown hair.

Is Dermatology who I need to schedule something like this with? I have not seen my general practitioner yet and was hoping I didn't need to. I believe he only really deals with eye/nose/throat stuff and was hoping to bypass the wasted money by going there just to be sent someone else.

Thank you
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:32 am

User avatar Hello,The commonest condition with the features mentioned would be a sebaceous cyst.Scalp is a common site too and this cyst contains a cheesy material called keratin, which is a protein the skin and hair are made of.These are painless unless they get infected.Treatment is by surgical removal.This is not a serious condition.A lipoma made of fat tissue could look similar but larger.Pilar cysts are also some times mistaken but have thicker walls.
You can consult a dermatologist or a general surgeon for the necessary treatment.Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here