Question: Thick hair + dark skin on shoulder

neutralaegis - Sat Feb 06, 2010 3:17 pm

Hi all,

I'm a 23 year old American male of Irish descent who has a thick patch of hair which grows only on one shoulder. This hair first appeared late into puberty (16 or so) and grows out of my chest hair and over one shoulder to my back. It has slowly spread as time has gone on moving farther and farther onto my back (at this point about 4-5 inches onto it). Friends in college would joke that it looked like a yetti walked up behind me and put an arm around my shoulder.

My reason for concern regarding this condition is three fold. First, this hair is some of the thickest hair on my body (similar to my pubic hair, thinner than even chest or stomach). Second, it only occurs on one shoulder. I am a fairly hairy guy and have light hair growth on most of my body, but my other shoulder is in-line with what you would expect. Third, I shave this hair every month or two (otherwise it is almost visible through my shirt collar) to give me at more "even" appearance and have found that the area where it grows has a much darker skin appearance. When shaved, you can see that there is a fairly well-defined line of this darker skin vs. normal skin color where the hair grows. This area is patchy on the part on my back and I believe it is growing. I did not have this darker skin before puberty (at least to my memory)

I did check on this with a dermatologist while I was at an acne appointment at 16 or 17 and he said it was a sort of birth mark that wasn't visible until puberty. I've never heard of anything like this, and lately its been bothering me. I'm planning on getting it lasered at some point, but was wondering if anyone here was familiar with a skin disease like this. Also, if I do get it lasered, is there anything to be done about the darker skin area?
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:36 pm

User avatar Hello,Becker's nevus is the condition which fits in with your description.This condition becomes visible at adolescence.It is only of cosmetic significance.There is associated hairgrowth wich can be removed by laser.You need not worry about this but do meet your dermatologist to make sure.Best wishes.
 neutralaegis - Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:15 pm

Ah, the picture on that wiki page looks exactly like my shoulder (even the skin discoloration and placement!) Nevertheless, I'll bring it up at my next doctor's appointment. Thanks so much!

Shawn
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:54 pm

User avatar Good to know that.My wishes.

|