News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Dermatology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Dermatology Answers List

Forum Name: Dermatology Topics

Question: painful wrinkling of fingertip skin - causes?

organon - Sun Feb 07, 2010 5:35 am

Thank you for examining my posting.

In mid December of 2009, I began experiencing a variety of health disturbances. These involved sleep problems and digestive trouble amongst other things.
But one of primary concern to me is as follows:

I began to have common 'pins and needles' sensations in my hands and fingers, especially my fingertips. These felt dry all the time (and lotion is of no help). When I examined them, I found strange creases in the skin — not deep, but obvious. Another feature is that if I face my palms toward me, the areas primarily effected are as follows: right hand = left side of fingertips, left hand = right side of fingertips. Both sides are affected to some degree, but these sides much more so. This condition has now lasted over a month. I would be grateful for any advice regarding it. BP checks are normal. 120/80.

Pins and needles sensation and these wrinkles are new. The sensation is quite strong, and not merely bothersome but painful.

Again my thanks for any information.
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:37 am

User avatar Hello,Skin wrinkling has been studied as a marker of autonomic nervous system which contols our blood vessels and sweating and many other important fuctions.Commonest is diabetic neuropathies,and vitamin deficiencies.Also connective tissue disorders,amyloid deposits,and a host of birth disorders can cause neuropathies.
Since you have severe pain and pins and needles sensations with a family history of diabetes investigations to rule out this and blood tests for deficiencies are needed.A neurological consultation is a must.Do get invesigated and i am sure you would recover if the cause is identified.Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here