Question: painful wrinkling of fingertip skin - causes?

organon - Sun Feb 07, 2010 5:35 am

Thank you for examining my posting.

In mid December of 2009, I began experiencing a variety of health disturbances. These involved sleep problems and digestive trouble amongst other things.
But one of primary concern to me is as follows:

I began to have common 'pins and needles' sensations in my hands and fingers, especially my fingertips. These felt dry all the time (and lotion is of no help). When I examined them, I found strange creases in the skin — not deep, but obvious. Another feature is that if I face my palms toward me, the areas primarily effected are as follows: right hand = left side of fingertips, left hand = right side of fingertips. Both sides are affected to some degree, but these sides much more so. This condition has now lasted over a month. I would be grateful for any advice regarding it. BP checks are normal. 120/80.

Pins and needles sensation and these wrinkles are new. The sensation is quite strong, and not merely bothersome but painful.

Again my thanks for any information.
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:37 am

User avatar Hello,Skin wrinkling has been studied as a marker of autonomic nervous system which contols our blood vessels and sweating and many other important fuctions.Commonest is diabetic neuropathies,and vitamin deficiencies.Also connective tissue disorders,amyloid deposits,and a host of birth disorders can cause neuropathies.
Since you have severe pain and pins and needles sensations with a family history of diabetes investigations to rule out this and blood tests for deficiencies are needed.A neurological consultation is a must.Do get invesigated and i am sure you would recover if the cause is identified.Best wishes.

|