Question: dark line in my toe nail

valentliu - Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:41 pm

Hi doctor
i'm female 31 years old, i have a lot of spot in my skin this is genetic from my parent, and one of my toe nail become dark like a vertical line but not thick, i ave this for a 5 years, what is this how to cure this? i don't feel any pain or something from my nail. this is melanoma?? Image

thanks
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Sun Feb 28, 2010 11:38 am

User avatar Hello,Firstly I could not have a look at the photo you sent since it did not get uploaded.However,longitudinal melanonychia are quite common in dark skinned.Melanoma in situ are rare in the population.Breath of 3mm or more,significant darkening in a short time,involvement of the dominant hand,Huchinsons sign in which the pigment enters the periunguinal skin ie is the nail folds,all need dermoscopic evaluation which is simple and non invasive.Those suspected would need a biopsy.While it may be a simple LM it would be prudent to get evaluated to be sure and get biopsied if required.
 valentliu - Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:46 pm

i try to upload my image but it failed, hope this time its work
http://img718.imageshack.us/img718/4084 ... 082138.jpg
thanks
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:38 am

User avatar Hello.I did see the image this time.It would be prudent to make sure that it is nothing more than an injury based nail change.Has it grown bigger or remaining the same?

|