News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Dermatology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Dermatology Answers List

Forum Name: Dermatology Topics

Question: Scabbing on a mole

colourblinddays - Fri Feb 12, 2010 12:51 pm

I am concerned about whats been happening with a mole of mine.

I've had this mole since I was a child (I am currently 28 years old). Over the years it has raised up a bit but nothing to be concerned about. It has stayed relatively the same diameter and color.

A few months ago I noticed 3 tiny black specs in my mole. I tried washing it to see if somehow dirt got in there, but I was unable to get it out. About a week or two later, the specs raised to the surface of the mole and came off like little scabs. I thought it was odd.

The same thing just happened again but with only one tiny black spot (it looks like a flake of pepper). Now it is really starting to worry me. I tried to call my dermatologist this morning to see if she had 5 minutes to look at it but this requires a $115 office fee for an appointment. I lost my job/insurance about a year ago. $115 is about 2 weeks of groceries for me! So I'm not sure what to do.

Currently, the mole looks fine/consistent as its been for many years. I have looked at melanoma photos and ABCD's are all normal, I THINK!

So what else could this be from?

Thank you!!!
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Fri Feb 26, 2010 11:41 am

User avatar Hello,While it is likely that it may turn out to be nothing more than an ordinary flaking it would still be prudent to invest the money to get to know that all is fine.Nevi can be triky at times and mislead even an expert sometimes with only visual support.You have now noninvasive procedure like a diascopy which can help a lot in diagnosis.Dysplatic nevi may resemble the picture sent and though nonmalignant may need yearly appraisal.Do make sure all is fine.It is worth the trouble.
Best wishes.
 colourblinddays - Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:55 am

Thank you so much for your input! I will make an appointment.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here