News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Dermatology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Dermatology Answers List

Forum Name: Dermatology Topics

Question: Spironolactone causing melasma and premature aging

Hoople - Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:40 pm

Since using spiro i've had: dry face with tight sensation, melasma, occasional rosacea, occasional facial rashes, a mildly mottled red/yellow face. Over the last month I have found my face now has prematurely aged - dark circles under eyes, crepe skin beneath eyes running down inner cheek, some yellow discolouration. An overall aging effect. I am female and have been taking spiro for approx two years for androgenetic alopecia. I have to choose between my face or my hair it seems. Are these side effects possible from spironolactone as I couldnt' find anything whilst googling? I also use minoxidil and have read a few accounts of skin aging so this could be contributing. Please help. Thankyou
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Fri Feb 26, 2010 12:07 pm

User avatar Hello,The symptoms of dry skin,alopecia,yellow skin(?Carotenemia),puffy odema must make one think of hypothyroidsm rather than spirinolactone,or minoxdil induced side effects.
It would be best to get your thyroid profile though you had possibly had got investigated earlier and do keep me posted.
With my best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here