Question: Hair Growth on Face, From Obesity or PCOS?

AndreaSue - Sat Feb 27, 2010 6:13 pm

I am an obese 28 y/o female. At my heaviest I was close to 500 pounds. That was in 2008. Now I am 388 (yay!) and counting. However, I have some facial hair on my chin and below my chin (neck area) that I find bothersome. I try to Google this information but I keep getting routed to conversations about Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome. I have a lot of the symptoms of PCOS including obesity, skin tags, sleep apnea, and dandruff. But all of those things are related to obesity itself. I do not have diabetes (at least I didn't the last time my blood was checked, which was a few years ago & when I was much heavier). I also have absent periods. My periods started to disappear in 1997 when I was between 250-300 pounds. But all of these things are also obesity related, so how do I know if my hair growth on my face is from the obesity itself, or if they both are part of PCOS? Also, regardless of what causes the hair growth, will it go away as I lose more weight?
Thank you.
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Wed Mar 10, 2010 5:15 am

User avatar Hello,Thanks for posting this very interesting question.True, the symptoms match both for obesity as well for PCOS.Male hormones ie androgens are increased in severe obesity and reduction of the weight would result in resumption of ovulation and improvement of other symptoms.
The intial evaluation in your case would include pelvic ultrasound,serum estradiol.FSH,LH ratio,and seum testosterone levels, progesterone challenge test for withdrawl bleeding,and to rule out hypothyroidism.Do get an endocrine evaluation and would of great help to get a diagnosis and treatment.

|