News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Dermatology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Dermatology Answers List

Forum Name: Dermatology Topics

Question: pink cheeks that resemble sunburn

jolly - Sun Mar 07, 2010 10:21 pm

Hello. I have a ten year old daughter that has recently started having very pink cheeks. This started back in January of this year. Her cheeks become very pink, but they are smooth and not hot to the thouch. It looks very much like a sunburn on her cheeks and sometimes her nose. In the mornings her cheeks are a very faint pink, but by afternoon and evening they become much more rosey and stay that way until bed time. I notice it most when I pick her up from school or after she has been outside for a while. The first few times I saw her with the flushed cheeks I assumed she was getting sick, but she never did get ill. Others are noticing and commenting on her cheeks as well, including her teacher who thought my daughter wasn't feeling well when she noticed it.

I am really not sure what to think about it. Other than a bout with ITP when she was four, and surgery this past December to have a branchial cyst removed from her collarbone area she has been healthy other than the common childhood ailments and growing pains. I don't know if I should take her in to see a doctor, or perhaps just give it some more time and see if it goes away. Could it be hormonal as she is on the cusp of puberty? Could it be an allergy or some sort? Or could it be just something perfectly normal that she is going to have from now on? I am not overly worried, but it is quite a change in her appearance. Thank you very much for your consideration and input.
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:05 am

User avatar Hello,Photodermatitis which is common in adults is uncommon in children,yet could present in a child as red cheeks.Hope your girl is not exposed to undue sun exposure.It is best to get a dermatologic opinion.Atopic children with family history of allergies have more chances of developing a photosensitization early.
Rosacea, again a condition of blood vessel instability are noticed in children too though rarely.Nothing much is needed to be done here unless there is progression like formation of acne like lesions.
There are other systemic conditions like auto immune disorders, and carcinoids which have other heralding symptoms like hypertension and diaorrhea.These are mentioned here just for completion sake.
Stress could lead to vasodialatation.Cosmetics could induce a photodermatitis.
Your child may not need any specific treatment since it is likely to be physiological.However do get a consultation to make sure.
Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here