Question: pink cheeks that resemble sunburn

jolly - Sun Mar 07, 2010 10:21 pm

Hello. I have a ten year old daughter that has recently started having very pink cheeks. This started back in January of this year. Her cheeks become very pink, but they are smooth and not hot to the thouch. It looks very much like a sunburn on her cheeks and sometimes her nose. In the mornings her cheeks are a very faint pink, but by afternoon and evening they become much more rosey and stay that way until bed time. I notice it most when I pick her up from school or after she has been outside for a while. The first few times I saw her with the flushed cheeks I assumed she was getting sick, but she never did get ill. Others are noticing and commenting on her cheeks as well, including her teacher who thought my daughter wasn't feeling well when she noticed it.

I am really not sure what to think about it. Other than a bout with ITP when she was four, and surgery this past December to have a branchial cyst removed from her collarbone area she has been healthy other than the common childhood ailments and growing pains. I don't know if I should take her in to see a doctor, or perhaps just give it some more time and see if it goes away. Could it be hormonal as she is on the cusp of puberty? Could it be an allergy or some sort? Or could it be just something perfectly normal that she is going to have from now on? I am not overly worried, but it is quite a change in her appearance. Thank you very much for your consideration and input.
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:05 am

User avatar Hello,Photodermatitis which is common in adults is uncommon in children,yet could present in a child as red cheeks.Hope your girl is not exposed to undue sun exposure.It is best to get a dermatologic opinion.Atopic children with family history of allergies have more chances of developing a photosensitization early.
Rosacea, again a condition of blood vessel instability are noticed in children too though rarely.Nothing much is needed to be done here unless there is progression like formation of acne like lesions.
There are other systemic conditions like auto immune disorders, and carcinoids which have other heralding symptoms like hypertension and diaorrhea.These are mentioned here just for completion sake.
Stress could lead to vasodialatation.Cosmetics could induce a photodermatitis.
Your child may not need any specific treatment since it is likely to be physiological.However do get a consultation to make sure.

|