News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Dermatology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Dermatology Answers List

Forum Name: Dermatology Topics

Question: Itchy [Stinging] Bumps on Random Body Parts That Come and Go

stagugs - Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:55 pm

Hello, I am 18 years old. About a month ago, I was playing with some friends and got pinched several times on my stomach. About 2 hours later, my stomach began to sting and itch. When I looked i realised that there were Several bumps on my stomach. I am coloured with a light brown complexion, and the bumps appear lighter than my skin tone(but not white). The surrounding skin is usually red, which I think is due to the itching. The bumps have appeared on my upper, middle and lower, back, stomach, chest, neck, arms, shoulders, legs, thighs, wrist, and Mons pubis. At first they appeared only after some physical pressure had been exerted on my body (such as a pinch), but later on, they began to appear with no apparent reason. They began to appear during the even, and as the days progressed, they began to appear in the early afternoon as well as during the night. I don't notice them until my body begins to sting or itch. Automatically i scratch the area, then realize that the bumps are there. The more I itch, the more bumps show up, and the more bumps, the more they itch, and the more I itch them, until eventually they go away which is usually an hour, sometimes more, other times, just a few minutes. My diet has not changed, so I don't believe this is a food allergy. I'm using the same skin products I always have, so I am baffled by this. There are no allergists in my country so that I may be certain, and it also very difficult to make an appointment with the limited dermatologists. It is also difficult to schedule an appointment when the bumps are apparent, so that the doctor can see first hand what these bumps look like. They are of different shapes and sizes, big, small, round, oval, and some with no distinct shape. Most are round, but i believe the longer ones arise when i scratch my skin, since arise where my nails have left an imprint. The itching really is unbearable, especially when they turn up while I'm at school. I've used Benadryl creams and taken Benadryl tablets. They helped at first but now they don't make much difference. More bumps appear even after I have taken the medication. Even worse, the Benadryl tablets make me drowsy.
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:11 pm

User avatar Hello,While it is easy to give a diagnosis of chronic urticaria form the clinical picture it is not that easy to give a lasting cure for this condition.
The reason for this is because while lot of work is done on the pathogenisis of this condition and the causative chemical histamine little is known about the cause.
Stroking or pinching the skin, and the resultant rash is known by name dermographism.
Drugs,foods,viral infections are the identifiable causes.Autoimmune reactions are also known factors.
If the cauative factor is identified avidance of these would result in cure.
The medical treatment would range from antihistamines as the first line,and steroids as second line.Severe refractory types would need immunotherapy.
Newer Nonsedating or minimally sedating antihiatamines would be of great help in your case.
Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here