Question: tongue pain

wattsc46 - Mon Jun 07, 2010 3:16 pm

For over two years I have had serious tongue pain. It comes and goes, but is present most of the time. The pain is mostly on the sides of my tongue and has been getting worse. My tongue has creases all over it. I do have one big raised spot (I don't know what to call it). A doctor scraped it about a year and a half ago and said it was OK). It is to the point where eating is getting very painful. There are so many foods I can't eat at all anymore because it hurts to much, such as ketchup, pimento cheese, anything spicy (even mild spice), tomatoes, chocolate pudding..etc). Several doctors have seen it, but I have so many other problems, they haven't spent any time looking into it. I started taking B12 hoping it would work, but I still have it. I need to find out what is causing it because it is not normal and I don't even know what kind of specialist to go to (Dermatologist???). Please help. Thank you.
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:14 am

User avatar Hello,The symptoms that you mention may be of BMS ie burning mouth syndrome otherwise known as glossodynia.This could involve only the tounge or rest of mouth with pain,burning or tingling.
The cause is not known.The furrows on your tounge may be of geographic tounge as it is called, and could be related to antibiotic use.Smoking could be a contributing cause.
Allergic reactions to certain flavours or spices also can lead to BMS.Vitamin deficiencies are well known inductors.
You can consult an oral physician and I am sure you would be fine soon.
 jazzy356 - Thu Jun 10, 2010 11:26 am

I also have been having terrible tongue pain, but mine is different. It comes on very sudden sometimes when im cold and other times for no reason at all that i can tell. My tongue begins to hurt as if it is cramping really bad, then it swells and turns completely white. the swellng interfers with my speach(slurs).. The pain is Awul. it will go away just as just as it came, gradual.
I went to an ENT and wtold he cannot help unless he sees it. It does not last long enough for me to get to the Dr while it is happening.
I am at a total loss and don't know what else to do. Please, any insight as to what this might be and what kind of Dr i need to see will be greatly appreciated.
JG
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Thu Jun 10, 2010 11:09 pm

User avatar Hello,Raynauds can rarely affect the tounge in which cold would precipitate the condition and turn the organ to white.
This is seen in patient with a preexisting auto immune disease(Raynaud Phenomenon) and when occurs singly known as Raynaud disease.It is best you get tests to rule out this rare possiblity.
A physician may offer you the best consultation here.
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Fri Jun 11, 2010 2:57 am

User avatar Hello,Raynaud's is an altered response of the small vessels especially of fingers and toes to cold.This leads to reduced blood supply and acute pain.It does get reversed in a short time.With out other associated disease it is known as Raynaud disease.
In contrast Raynaud phenomenon can occur in other conditions like diseases of auto immunity.
Anti NuclearAntibody testing,tests for cryoglobulins,compliment levels may be tests done to establish diagnosis.Raynaud's of tounge is extremely rare.Prognosis in primary Raynauds is very good.
Do consult and do keep us informed about your progress and recovery.
With my best wishes.

|