Question: Alergic reaction to sunscreen

whiteangel - Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:45 pm

My 15 month old daughter is been sent for allergie testing as we have noticed that she is allergic to something in Mayo. However I am not sure when my doctor will beable to get her in to a specialist and today she broke out in hives and a rash from sunscreen. Is there something else out there that I can use on her as she loves the outdoors but I am scared to take her out now as she has the same skin type as me which is very fair and sensitive. She has very dry skin that she scratches so bad that she breaks the skin open and I must watch her at all times. Please help.

whiteangle
very concerned mom
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:15 am

User avatar Hello,It is best to avoid sunscreens in your child and go for sunblocks.It is quite possible for children to be allergic to sunscreens.Generally a rash would be presented but it is unlikely as a cause of hives.
A broad hat with a brim to shield the face would be ideal.
Most sunblocks would contain zinc oxide as microfined particles.
A small test application,though not warranted may be tried before general application to exposed parts.Make sure it does not get to the eyes.It could irritate and make the child cry.ok?

|