Question: What could be casuing Anal Cysts for a baby?

cranky_mama - Sat Jun 12, 2010 6:52 pm

Hello!

My 8 month old son had suddenly developed a cyst near his anus which was treated with antibiotics. The size of the cyst decreased so the doctor suggested a second round of antibiotics to see if we could get rid of it completely. This didn't work - in fact shortly after completing the second round of antibiotic treatment a second cyst has erupted on another side in the same area...
What could be causing these? Why is it important to get rid of them - I don't take antibiotics if I have a cyst on my face or other body area... Which leads me to ask what is the best way to get rid of them?

Thanking you in advance for addressing my question - thanks!
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Sun Jun 20, 2010 1:05 am

I take it that by 'cyst', you are not referring to an abscess. There are a number of causes for cystic lesions in the vicinity of the anal canal.Some of them are as follows...
- Sacrococcygeal teratomas: is the most common site of teratomas in infancy. More common in the girl child. Sacrococcygeal teratoma is the most common neoplasm in newborns. Teratomas in infants, may be seen externally (behind the anal opening) in the majority of cases.Although, a small part of the tumor may be seen externally, the larger part remains in the pre-sacral space.Occasionally, infection & abscess formation may occur.
- Anal duct/gland cysts: Anal duct cysts present most commonly in the third decade of life, and they have a higher incidence in males.They are similar to the teratomas in that major part of the cyst lies higher up.
- Epidermoid cysts: They are rare in children. Mostly seen in young and middle-aged adults.
- Dermoid cysts: These cysts are usually found in the genital and perianal areas in adults; but in pediatric practice, they are seen more often in the head and neck. Of these, about 40% present at birth and 70% are present by 5 years. They are more common in girls.

Most of these aforesaid cysts warrant complete surgical excision.

Apart frome these cysts, lesions such as a pilonidal cyst (& abscess) and benign/malignant skin tumors also must be excluded.Somehow, history provided is more in favour of perianal (anorectal) abscesses rather than 'cysts'.

|