News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Dermatology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Dermatology Answers List

Forum Name: Dermatology Topics

Question: BEST OPTIONS FOR HYPERPIGMENTATION TREATMENTS

Helpme2010 - Tue Jun 15, 2010 1:37 pm

Hi, Im 18 years old and a black female and I have had this problem with hyperpigmentation on my innner thighs and underarms for many years now and I finally want to do something about it. I've been told this comes from the skin rubbing together and that it is common with people of my race. I have heard of treatments such as Kojic Acid soap which I heard it works, but it burns and leaves scars. I want to find a solution that will help me without leaving marks on my body. I don't want to go into extreme measures to achieve this also because Im a little tight on money. So is there anything you could recommend me try Im open for any suggestions. Thank you
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Tue Jun 22, 2010 2:49 am

User avatar Hello,Pigmentation of skin is fairly common but treatments given are unsatisfactory.
The commonest causes would include excess sun exposure,hormonal types like melasma,post inflammatory after skin conditions like fungus,eczema.Racial vatiations and familial tendencies are well recognized.
One condition affecting the axilla,neck,thighs region with vevetty projections is known as Acanthosis nigricans.Familial,obesity related,and some types related to internal tumours are also known.
Your case seems to be a simple friction induced pigmentation.
Depigmenting cremes sometimes cause adverse reactions like irritation,and turning of the skin to white.Hydroxyquinolones the monobenzyl ether form was notorious for this.
The present day drugs while quite safe still carry the irriration potentiality.Azelaic acid,Tretinoin,Glycolic acid peels,lasers are used in different skin types.These are prescribed by the dermatologist or physician.
Home remedies would include AloeVera cremes.
Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here