Question: Will V-beam help minimize my scar?

jon3188 - Wed Jun 16, 2010 7:36 pm

I had several suspicious moles incised out of my neck 3.5 years ago, and ofcourse a scar formed. The scar which has flattened over the span of the years is still however pink and very visible. I recently went to get a Vascular laser treatment (v-beam) to treat the redness. Its been 2 weeks since the treatment and some improvement in the texture has been noted, but not that much for the redness/pink of the scar. My question is what is the most effective way of improving the appearance of scars of my nature, especially the colour? If this scar was anywhere not visible i would not care at all, but it is on my neck, and it really bothers me. Howmany V-beam treatments are usually needed to eliminate the redness in scars? And finally is it normal to not have a large improvement after only 1 V-beam treatment and only 2 weeks after it? Sorry to have so many parts in the question, but this scar has caused me immense anxiety over the past years. Thanks
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Sat Jun 19, 2010 10:54 pm

Basically, hypertrophic scars( thickening and redness confined to the scar) or keloidal scars(thickening extends beyond the boundaries of the scar) are believed to be aberrations of wound healing in which there seems to be an imbalance between collagen synthesis & breakdown (synthesis exceeds breakdown).

Both differ from normal mature scars in that they contain a network of blood vessels.These blood vessels form the basis of the usage of pulsed dye laser (V beam).

Among the very many modalities available, no single form of treatment has been shown top be significantly superior.The trend appears to be favoring a multi-modality management (compression therapy, occlusive dressings, intralesional corticosteroid injections, and pulsed dye laser in various combinations).

Response to these therapies is unpredictable. Each lesion may respond differently. So i would hesitate to offer a definite time-frame.Generally, younger lesions respond better than the older ones.

|